Gifts of Stock and Securities
Donating stock or securities offers a number of benefits:
- A federal income charitable contribution tax deduction based on the stock’s fair market value on the date of the gift (up to 30% of your adjusted gross income) if the stock was owned for more than one year;
- Carry over of the deduction for up to five additional years if the fair market value of the gift is more than 30% of your adjusted gross income; and
- Avoidance of capital gains tax that is due when you sell appreciated stock.
Note: Stock owned for one year or less is considered a short-term asset and usually won’t produce attractive tax benefits.
Also, if stock has decreased in value, selling it and making a cash gift to Indiana Bar Foundation is probably more beneficial. You can take a capital loss on federal taxes and still enjoy a charitable deduction up to 50% of your adjusted gross income.
How to Donate Stock
Each of the stock gifts the Foundation handles each year strengthens our programmatic work while providing tax benefits for supporters. Here are step-by-step instructions to help you take advantage of this gift planning opportunity:
Stock held by a broker
- Contact your broker to find out the required information to transfer a gift of stock to the Foundation.
- Contact us link here to acquire the necessary information.
- Either you or your broker must contact us link here online or call 317-269-2415 with the name of the stock and the number of shares being transferred. This ensures the gift is properly credited and acknowledged.
Stock certificate held by a supporter
- Contact us link here to inform the Foundation you are making a gift of stock.
- Using registered mail, send the endorsed securities to:
Indiana Bar Foundation
230 East Ohio Street
Indianapolis, IN 46204
- In a separate envelope to the same address, send:
- A letter stating you wish to contribute the securities to the Foundation, including the name and number of shares of each stock;
- A signed but otherwise blank stock power form. (Contact us if you need a blank form.)
How to Donate Other Securities
To donate mutual fund shares or other securities, please contact the Indiana Bar Foundation for details.
If you have any questions or need additional information, please call the Foundation's executive director or development director (317-269-2415) or contact us online.
We recommend that you consult with your attorney or tax advisor for the various tax benefits and restrictions that may apply to your specific situation. We are available to you and your advisors to answer questions or help arrange a planned gift to the Foundation. The Foundation’s future programs depend on the partnerships we form today.